Jefferson Davis Award
I tried all in my power to avert this war.
I saw it coming, for twelve years I worked night and day to prevent it, but I could not.
The North was mad and blind; it would not let us govern ourselves, and so the war came, and now it must go on till the last man of this generation falls in his tracks, and his children seize the musket and fight our battle, unless you acknowledge our right to self government.
We are not fighting for slavery. We are fighting for Independence, and that, or extermination.
The Jefferson Davis Leadership Award will be presented annually to one outstanding student enrolled in a participating college or high school within the State of Texas.
Criteria for Award:
The Jefferson Davis Leadership Award should be presented to the student that in the judgment of that school's student advisor, best emulates the leadership principles, moral character, and dedication to duty that was so superbly demonstrated by President Davis.
Where possible, the award will be presented in an appropriate ceremony by a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. Brigade and local Camp Commanders will serve as the Points of Contact within their geographic areas. The Division and Brigade Commanders will address contact with those schools not served by a local Camp and also resolve responsibilities when an area is served by two or more SCV Camps.
Costs of the Award will be borne by the presenting Camp. Requests for Ribbons and Certificates will be forwarded to the Headquarters, Texas Division, Sons of Confederate Veterans and will contain the Name (first, middle initial, last), College/High School (name and town/city) of the student to be honored, and the name and return address of the presenter.
The Jefferson Davis Leadership Award is an exceptional way for camps to introduce themselves to their local schools and the public. If your camp isn't participating in this program, you are missing an excellent chance to be exposed to your local community in a positive way. This is a very good public relations tool that can be used, at a small cost to the camp. Camps that wish to participate in the program should:
- Contact the SCV Texas Division program chairman to see if the school you wish to honor isn't being already awarded by another camp.
- Contact the schools student adviser and tell them that our organization would like to present the Texas Division Jefferson Davis Leadership Award to the student of their choice.
- Give the student advisor a copy of the selection criteria and the certificate example for their review. Ask that they give ample notification of the award's date to allow the time to create and mail the award.
- When sending your request for the award to be presented, please remember that the following information is needed to be able to create the certificate. (Please check all spelling)
Please, try and send all of the above information with enough time for the Certificate to be created and mailed. There is a $15.00 fee on each award to cover cost of Certificate, Medal, and mailing.
- Student's full name, as it is to appear on certificate
- Full name of school
- Name of city where school is located
- Date the awards will be presented
Lee Roy Lance
Award Certificate Example
Award Medal Example